Coindre Hall Soccer

Long Island, NY

Week 8 Review


Week  8


Farmingdale Utd v Huntington Utd

The two Uniteds, Farmingdale and Huntington, opened week eight with a double header after missing out on a play off place. Game one saw both teams miss chances in a close first half that ended 1-0 to Farmingdale courtesy of a Tyler Solis goal. Huntington fought hard to get back in the game in the second half but couldn’t put the ball in the net, the only goal again going to Farmingdale, this time from the foot of Walter Balaceres.


The second game followed a similar pattern with Farmingdale taking a two goal lead into the break, Jack Agres and Tyler Solis on target. Huntington came close on a couple of occasions and hit the post before Tyler Solis scored his second of the game to make it a 3-0 win and a double for Farmingdale.

Elwood v HBC Kings (1st semi final)

The play-offs began with Elwood and the HBC Kings. Elwood were confident having won all of their league games and it was always going to be difficult for the Kings who were missing their top scorer Dylan Thody through illness. The first half was tight with both teams going close before Dylan Poblete scored the only goal of the half for Elwood. Dylan doubled the lead early in the second half and brother Daniel wrapped it up with a third before the end, 3-0 the final score.


HBC Squids v Annoying Oranges (2nd semi final)

The HBC Squids and the Annoying Oranges met in the other semi final and it was the Oranges who took control with early strikes by Andreas Seferian and Owen Husselbeck. Brady Moore got the Squids back into the game shortly after with a clinical finish but they were unable to add to it and the half ended 2-1 in favor of the Oranges. The second half started off with both teams trading chances but it was the Squids who soon began to pile on the pressure forcing the Oranges into some desperate defending. With a couple of last ditch tackles and goalmouth clearances they managed to withstand the onslaught and booked themselves a place in the final.


HBC Squids v HBC Kings (3rd place game)

The Squids were straight back in action in the third place game and took the lead against the Kings when Alex Fascilla fired in. Chad Berlent brought the Kings level with a goal before half time but the Squids restored the lead after the break when Brady Moore poked the ball in from close range. That proved to be the winner and the Squids claimed third place with the 2-1 victory.


FINAL:  Elwood v Oranges

In the final, the Oranges were trying to become the first team this season to beat Elwood. Not an easy task but they went into the game knowing that they played a close game against them the previous week despite going down by a score of 4-3. This time the Oranges defended with a lot more discipline and took the lead when Owen Husselbeck struck his seventeenth goal of the season. Elwood had opportunities to equalize before half time but the Oranges held firm and took a 1-0 lead into the break. The second half was very open and end to end with both teams squandering chances. Elwood pushed forward and began to get the upper hand as the game wore on but the Oranges were always a threat on the break and with only a minute left Liam McKenna scored to make it 2-0. It was tough on Elwood after such a fine season but a great night for the Oranges who took their chances, defended well and finished as champions.


It was a double celebration for the Oranges as Owen Husselbeck collected the Golden Boot trophy for his seventeen goal tally.


Congratulations to all teams for making it such a competitive and enjoyable season.



Great White Sharks v St.Elizabeth Lightning

All six games in the U7 division proved to be close games with only one of the six being decided by more than one goal. The Great White Shark and the St. Elizabeth Lightning opened up the day with the Sharks winning game one thanks to an Ian Gallo Strike in the first half, 1-0 the final score. That was followed by an even tighter game that ended 1-1. Alex Braunstein got the goal for the Sharks with Hayden Rochler replying for the Lightning.


St.Elizabeth Thunder v Rockets (1st Semi final)

St. Elizabeth Thunder went into the play-offs as the only team in all the divisions with their 100% record intact (after Elwood’s loss on Friday evening) The Rockets were the team hoping to inflict a first defeat on the Thunder and it was looking good when Liam Harrington gave them a 1-0 lead early in the game. The Thunder’s top scorer Luca Crimi soon leveled and Patrick Soulias made it 2-1 shortly after as the Thunder got into their stride but Chastain Cassidy hammered in the equalizer for the Rockets to make it 2-2 at half time. The second half was a tense affair with few clear chances but hesitation in the Rockets penalty box gave Luca Crimi the chance to fire the Thunder into a 3-2 lead. The Rockets pressed late in the game and Hayley McGowan saw a late shot go just the wrong side of the post and the Thunder went into the final with the 3-2 victory.


Dix Hills v Chelsea (2nd semi final)

The second semi final game saw Dix Hills and Chelsea battle it out in a game dominated by defenses. Both teams struggled to create clear chances with the only goal of the first half coming from Dix Hills’ Gavin Wisotski. Both teams pushed forward in search of a goal after the break but again the chances were hard to come by and Dix Hills held on to the one goal lead to claim their place in the final.


Chelsea v Rockets (3rd place game)

Chelsea bounced back and found their scoring touch in the third place game against the Rockets. Liam Harrington opened the scoring for Chelsea but Enzo Pupillo tied it up for the Rockets not long after. David McCalla then scored twice to give Chelsea a 3-1 lead before Enzo Pupillo scored a second for the Rockets to make it 3-2. Liam Harrington netted his second and Chelsea’s fourth to settle the game making the final score 4-2.


FINAL: Dix Hills v St.Elizabeth Thunder

The final game offered Dix Hills the chance to be the first team to beat the Thunder but it didn’t start well for them. Vincent Grassi’s excellent long shot found the top corner early in the game to give the Thunder a 1-0 lead. Dix Hills went in search of the equalizer and came close on a couple of occasions in the first half but couldn’t penetrate the Thunder’s defense. The second half was equally as competitive with both teams pushing forward at every opportunity. The last couple of minutes saw Dix Hills throw everything but the kitchen sink at the opposition goal but it wasn’t to be and the Thunder held on for a deserved victory. The 1-0 win meaning they finished the regular season and play-offs with a perfect record.


Dix Hills’ Tyler Varlack picked up the Golden Boot trophy, his sixteen goals beating the Thunder’s Luca Crimi into second place on fifteen.


Congratulations to Tyler, to the Thunder and to all the teams, coaches and parents. It was fun to watch and be part of.



CSH Storm v Northport Surf

The Storm came out strong in the first game of their double header against the Surf. Emily Berlinghof, Grace Concannon and Grace Hudson scored the goals that gave them a comfortable 3-0 victory.


The second game was a much closer game with the teams sharing the goals in a 2-2 tie. Riley Engleman scored for the Surf but Grace Hudson and Emily Berlinghof were on target again for the Storm to give them a 2-1 lead. Just as it looked like the Storm would complete a second victory Hope Staib netted a last gasp goal for the Surf to even the score.


New Hyde Pk Frirecats v South Hunt. France (1st semi final)

The Firecats were unbeaten during the regular season and were hoping to continue their form in the play-offs against South Huntington France. They got off to a good start with goals from Marina Pappas and Irene Tsahas giving them a 2-0 lead. Joanna Canagiani pulled one back for France to keep them in the game but Lauren Wasserman’s second half strike ended any thoughts of a comeback as the Firecats moved on to the final with the 3-1 win.


HBC Force v South Huntington USA (2nd semi final)

The Force and USA played a competitive game in the second semi final with both teams finding clear cut chances tough to find. The only goal of an even first half came from Joanna Canagiani who gave USA the 1-0 advantage. The second half saw the Force step up the pressure as they went in search of an equalizer and despite plenty of possession and a couple of near misses they were unable to break down the USA defense who held firm for the 1-0 victory.


HBC Force v South Hunt. France (3rd place game)

The Force did find their scoring touch in the third place game although they had to wait until the second half when goals from Alexa Weindorf and Christine Fabrizi gave them a 2-0 lead. France’s top scorer Danielle Kleet reduced the arrears making it 2-1 to set up a tense finish but the Force held firm for a deserved victory and a third place finish.


FINAL: New Hyde Pk Firecats v South Hunt USA

USA went into the final hoping to be the first team to beat the Firecats but a well organized and determined New Hyde Park team took their chances in the first half and led 2-0 thanks to goals from top scorer Logan Ward and Joanna Mallceri. USA did all they could in a competitive second half but couldn’t get past the Firecats defense and had to settle for second place, 2-0 the final score.


Logan Ward was the winner of the Golden Boot to make it a double for the Firecats. Logan’s total of thirteen goals for the season was two more than France’s Danielle Kleet who finished in second place.


Congratulations to Logan, the winners New Hyde Park and to all the teams for a successful and entertaining season.



The HBC Diablos and the HBC Angels opened the U13 division and a close game was decided by a second half goal from Kristen Leonard, the Angels winning 1-0.


The Diablos were soon back in action against South Huntington Real Madrid. Madrid took the lead through Carlitos Hernandez but a well struck shot from the Diablos’ Luke McNamara found the corner to make it 1-1 at half time. The Diablos, who improved as the season progressed, were looking for their first victory but Steven Cirovolo got the only goal of a tight second half to give Madrid the 2-1 win.


Thomas Witthuhn scored a hat trick as the Vortex beat the Angels 3-0 and was then on target in the first half against Madrid. An own goal gave the Vortex a two goal cushion but David Alfaro turned the game around with a hat trick for Madrid before Thomas Witthuhn tied it up late in the game to make the final score 3-3.


Jericho Revolution v CSH Comets (1st semi final)

The BU13 division was competitive throughout the season and any one of the four teams going into the playoffs were capable of winning the tournament. The first semi final was another fast and hard fought game with both teams making every tackle count. Jericho struck first when top scorer Todd Perlman reacted the quickest to fire the ball in but Sergei Brower, another Golden Boot contender, leveled the scores before half time with a well placed header. Jericho took the lead again after the break, this time it was Sam Josephson with the clinical finish. The Comets pressed for the equalizer but Zach Caspe put the game out of reach with a third for the Revolution as they claimed their place in the final, 3-1 the score.


Z20 Jackals v South Huntington Barca (2nd semi final)

The second semi final was a game of two very different halves. The Jackals and Barca played an even first half with the both teams displaying a confident attitude. Gabe Quesquen was forced into a couple of early saves in the Barca goal before Brian Perez scored to give Barca the 1-0 advantage at half time.    The second half belonged to the Jackals who dominated the proceedings and were soon level through J.D. Patti’s goal. Kevin Gulizio scored twice and Matt Tomlinson once as the Jackals raced ahead 4-1. With Barca pushing forward the Jackals made the most of the space and added two more at the end, Matteo Alzate and J.D. Patti making the final score 6-1.


CSH Comets v South Hunt. Barca (3rd place game)

The third place playoff game was the only game of the day that went into overtime. Loizos Mihael scored for the Comets but two Brian Valencia goals gave Barca a 2-1 lead at the half. Vincezo Iannucci’s strike brought the Comets back level but Gabe Quesquen restored Barca’s lead making it 3-2. With time running our Sergei Brower’s goal for the Comets tied it up again and the game need sudden death overtime to find a winner. It didn’t take long as the Comets struck the winning blow in their first attack, Loizos Mihael the hero with the all important goal. It was tough on Barca who had been consistent and challenging for top spot all season but exciting for the Comets and anyone else watching this very entertaining game.


FINAL: Jericho Revolution v Z20 Jackals

Jericho went into the final having played very well in the semi and knowing they were the team to beat after an excellent season. The Jackals though were the only team to beat Jericho in regular season play and after a dominant second half display in their semi final were full of confidence. On paper it was a good match up and in reality it didn’t disappoint. Both teams played some good soccer and produced plenty of action in an even first half. The Jackals drew first blood when Kevin Gulizio drilled in a shot but Sam Josephson replied for Jericho as the half came to a close. Both team had chances in the second half before Kevin Gulizio scored his and the Jackals second to restore the lead. With plenty of time left the Revolution continued to move the ball around looking to create but the Jackals defended well and limited their scoring opportunities. Luke Karen relieved some of the pressure on the Jackals with a powerful shot that found its way into the Jericho goal to leave the Revolution trailing by two. The Jackals negotiated the last couple of minutes without too many problems and held on for memorable 3-1 victory, but a lot of credit should go to the Revolution for their part in an exceptional final.


Congratulations to the Z20 Jackals, to Thomas Whitthuhn of the Vortex who claimed the Golden Boot with his nineteen goal haul and to all the teams for another great season.



The final ‘round robin’ of the season between the GU16/17 teams was the closest of them all with all three games being won by a one goal margin. POB Cyclones played an excellent first half and led 1-0 against Oyster Bay thanks to Marissa Hauser’s strike. Oyster Bay got back into the game after the break and leveled the score when Gabby Morales found the net. Both teams pushed for a winner and it was Oyster Bay who got it late in the game when Danielle Coccia fired the ball in to make it 2-1. Oyster Bay were then pushed all the way by a confident Elwood team and it was Danielle Coccia again who supplied the winning effort for Oyster Bay, her second half goal the only one of the game. It also took Danielle’s total for the season to seventeen, two ahead of teammate Erin Allen, and won her the Golden Boot award.


Elwood and the POB Cyclones then shared five goals in the last game with Elwood coming out on top 3-2. It was hard on the Cyclones who again played well and had Marissa Hauser to thank for another two shots that found the net. Marina Schmidt, Erin O’Brien and Grace Fitzmaurice each scored for Elwood though to ensure that their season ended with a victory.


Congratulations to all the girls for making it an enjoyable season and to Danielle Coccia on her Golden Boot win.



Juventus v CSH Renegades (1st semi final)

The BU15/16 playoffs got underway with Juventus taking on the CSH Renegades in the first semi final and it was Juve who struck first when Mario Lobos flicked in a cross mid way through the first half. The game was played at a frenetic pace throughout with defenses blocking shots or making last ditch interceptions. Jerry Tobar went close on two occasions for Juve before the break and both keepers had to be on their toes as the shots reigned in. The second half saw Mario Lobos extend Juve’s lead with a clever back heel and Jerry Tobar got on the score sheet with a drive from the edge of the box to make it 3-0. Jeremy Gelb pulled on back for the Renegades but Juve marched on to the final with a determined display, 3-1 the final score.


Bayshore Dynasty v Warriors

Bayshore Dynasty took an early lead in their game against the Warriors when Victor Romero’s shot flew into the corner. The Warriors came close to leveling with shots from Jeff Sully and Max Karen narrowly missing the target while Dynasty’s Mike Bernardo had a close range strike stopped well by Warriors keeper Danny Zagorski. The second half was just as eventful with both teams creating but failing to take their chances. The Warriors upped the pressure towards the end but were unable to find a way through the resolute Dynasty defense and it was the Bayshore boys who moved on to the final with the 1-0 victory.


Warriors v CSH Renegades (3rd place game)

The Warriors were soon back in action with third place at stake against the CSH Renegades. It looked like it would end scoreless with half time fast approaching but two quick goals from the Warriors’ Joe Saginaw then Max Karen turned the game in their favor and gave them a 2-0 lead at the break. Nick Tonks made it three for the Warriors but CSH’s John Auferio brought the deficit back to two with a cool finish. Max Karen scored his second of the game to make it 4-1 to the Warriors and effectively kill off any hopes the Renegades had of a comeback. Jeremy Gelb got a second for them but the Warriors took third place with the 4-2 win.


FINAL: Juventus v Bayshore Dynasty

Juventus and the Dynasty produced some lively and exciting soccer during the regular season and the final was no different. Both teams competed for every ball as expected and there was plenty of skill on show from both sides. Victor Romero broke the deadlock as he did in the semi final to give the Dynasty the lead but it was short lived as Ever Manzanares placed a shot in the corner to level it up for Juve. The second half had plenty of goalmouth action as both teams looked to work the ball into scoring positions and both keepers were kept busy. It was Ever Manzanares again who finished off a Juve move to give them a 2-1 lead and when Jerry Tobar hammered in a low shot to make it 3-1 it left the Dynasty with an uphill battle. Juventus were happy to retain as much possession as possible in the final few minutes and did so to become the U15/16 champions with their 3-1 triumph.


The Dynasty’s Mike Bernardo was the Golden Boot winner with twenty one goals, one more than Juve’s Jerry Tobar.


Congratulations to Juventus, Mike Bernardo and to all the teams for another competitive and exhilarating season!



Coindre Hall Soccer © 2014 Frontier Theme